Pharmacy Privacy Notice
Our pharmacists and staff aim to provide you with the highest quality of healthcare. To do this they need to keep records about you, your health and the care we have provided or plan to provide to you.
In order to provide a service to you there is certain information that we record. This includes details of drugs and appliances dispensed against NHS and private prescriptions; as well as information captured in order to provide NHS and private services to you, any significant advice given, referrals made to other health professionals and any other relevant information.
Information recorded and processed may include:
- Personal information such as address, date of birth and NHS number;
- Records of medicines you have been prescribed, and which have been supplied by this pharmacy;
- Details of medicines purchased from the pharmacy without a prescription;
- Other details and notes about your health and medical treatment;
- Any information gathered through other services we provide to you. These are processed on third party websites and have their own information governance and privacy notices, that can be provided on request.
- Phone calls made to the pharmacy are recorded. This is to ensure and improve quality of service delivery, to ensure safety of our staff and customers.
- Where your prescription is for a medical appliance (e.g. colostomy bags) we may pass your prescription, and the personal information on it, to a third party appliances contractor called Ostomed or NWOS.
We process your personal data, which includes information from your prescriptions and any other pharmacy and health care services we provide to you for the purposes of:
- Providing pharmacy services and care to you and sharing your information with your GP and others in the wider NHS, as appropriate;
- Sharing your information with the NHS Business Services Authority, others in the wider NHS, and sometimes Local Authorities, and only relevant information to those external to the NHS who negotiate and check the accuracy of our payments; and,
- Sharing only relevant information with the NHS Business Services Authority and others in the wider NHS, and sometimes Local Authorities; as well as those external to the NHS who ensure we maintain appropriate professional and service standards and that your declarations and ours are accurate. You may choose to opt out of the provision of your data to the NHS.
We hold your information for as long as advised by NHS and pharmaceutical regulations.
All of our staff contracts of employment contain a requirement to keep patient information confidential. Pharmacists have a requirement under the General Pharmaceutical Committee professional standards to keep records about you confidential, secure and accurate. NHS services providers, including community pharmacy contractors, must give assurances to the NHS each year on their data security and protection systems and procedures, by completing the Data Security and Protection toolkit, to which we comply with.
We will always process your records in strict confidence.
You have the right to confidentiality under the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018.
You have the right to ask for a copy of all pharmacy records about you.
Generally, there will be no charge for a printed copy of the information we hold about you. We are required to respond to your request within one month.